Unlike most contractors, we like performing residential asbestos related work. We encapsulate / repair or remove asbestos almost daily in homes. Contact us if you need a FREE proposal.
Unfortunately, the high relative humidity in St. Louis and the Midwest in general not only has an effect on all of us but our homes and buildings as well. If our furnaces and air handling equipment is not properly filtering the air, the mold readings inside can become elevated. We recommend “pollen” type filters for furnaces and most air handling equipment. In addition, it is always a good idea to use a dehumidifier to reduce the humidity. Relative humidity levels over 60% can create the perfect environment for mold to colonize. Need more tips? Contact us for a FREE quote.
If you have entered a moldy basement or building, you know the smell. The odor is quite musty!
Mold is not always noticable by smell. Sometimes high levels of mold are present and no one can smell it.
Different types of mold emit odors however there are some that do not have much odor associated with them.
Consequently, it may be wise to have the air tested to determine if mold is present. There have been times when I entered buildings and would have said, “no mold in here”. But a simple air test proved otherwise – thank God for scientific testing.
So, if you suspect mold but cannot smell anything it may be wise to have an air sample or two taken to verify.
A funny thing happened on the way to certification. Talk about SMART customers!
After testing and certifying the environment in an ASC’s Operating Rooms (ORs), the ASC started using the “certification” to capture more referral business. They began telling physicans in the surrounding market – would you refer your patients to an ASC that was not certified or to an ASC that is certified? The physican often asked, “what do you mean by Certification?”
The reply was, Operating Rooms are engineered to operate at set levels of air exchanges, temperature, humidity levels, pressure relationships, etc… but few facilities actually know if their facility is in compliance or operating as it was designed. Our’s has been certified that it is operating as required.
When an OR or other invasive procedure room is functioning properly – the facility is at reduced risk of being the cause of an HAI.
This ASC started picking up more business (not to mention more profits) using this tactic. Not to mention, the Administrator who devised the plan is in great demand (do we hear higher pay).
Testing and Certifying your ORs is worth it and you may be rewarded too!
I have mold on a plaster wall, can it be removed or do I need to remove the entire wall?
Mold does not normally colonize on “plaster” since it lacks the proper neutrients. If mold is visibly noticable on plaster it is probably after the dirt or paint on the plaster more than the plaster itself – unless the plaster was significanlty wet for an extended period of time.
Consequently, the plaster can normally be cleaned and disinfected rather than removed.
A year ago I would have told customers that the “drywall needs to go” once mold is colonizing. However, new chemical treatments can save some Owners up to 70% over last year’s remediation cost. We have been testing a chemical treatment in universities, hosptials and homes to see if the product can, in some cases, eliminate the need to remove the drywall. It works. In addition to saving property owners thousands of dollars, the airborne mold levels are going from significantly elevated to almost zero with this process.
We are currently in the process of video taping applications so we can professionally edit and show interested parties how we can save them money, time and headaches.